CAT | Umbraco
I recently migrated an Umbraco 5 site from a live environment to my local environment to make some changes, and ran into an issue. I backed up the database of the live site and restored it locally, updated the connection string located in the Hive config file to point to my local database (located at ~\App_Data\Umbraco\HiveConfig\web.config), and the site still would not load. I was presented with the following screen:
Install Umbraco 5.0.0 RTM
Welcome to Umbraco 5
It looks like Umbraco isn’t installed yet – click here to launch the install wizard.
Umbraco 5.0.0 RTM runs on ASP.NET MVC3. This is a standard MVC-powered page included as a demo of how your MVC application can serve pages alongside those managed by Umbraco CMS.
To learn more about ASP.NET MVC visit http://asp.net/mvc
After a few minutes of troubleshooting, I discovered that the issue was simply that the production environment was using a different user account for Umbraco to access the database than I was using locally, and even though I changed the connection string to reflect this, I forgot to associate the username with the database after the restore:
After checking the appropriate database roles for my user account everything was working again. Since Umbraco 5 doesn’t error or give any warning about why it is at the install screen, this wasted a little bit of my time. Hopefully this helps one of you troubleshoot a similar issue.
I have recently been working with Umbraco 5 (Jupiter), the newest version rebuilt from the ground up using ASP.NET MVC. One of the stranger issues that I ran into occurred after adding a Surface Controller, and a corresponding custom View to the pre-compiled site. The following error showed up after a build/save all:
The pre-application start initialization method Start on type System.Web.WebPages.Deployment.
Since I opened the site up as an ASP.NET MVC3 Web Site, adding the view added the following to the Web.config:
<add key="webpages:Enabled" value="true" />
Since it does this behind the scenes, I was confused about how the error started, and wasn’t able to catch it until doing a compare on a fresh Umbraco web.config, and the one that was in the project root. Hopefully this saves some of you some time